Apr 26, 2012

Ubuntu 12.04 versus Window 7

Yesterday I got to take a look at Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04
Here is my review.

  1. Installation 
    •  2 hours on Windows 7 - the CPU and Hard drive serial numbers have to sync
    •  1 hours on Ubuntu - no entering in numbers from Microsoft
  2. Setup
    • Windows 7 would not let me install Chrome I keep getting "This file is not valid".
    • Ubuntu 12.04 I had to do 3 extra setups
      1. sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
      2. Install the Google Talk plugin 
      3. Install the Chrome browser and other games from the Ubuntu Software Center
  3. Ease of Use
    • Windows 7 now has the ability to know if a program is already running so it doesn't start the program again. Same in Ubuntu
    • Windows 7 comes with 2 Virus Protection software programs that conflict with each other.
    • Ubuntu doesn't need Virus Protection
    • Windows 7 comes with Digital Right Management (you have to pay)
    • Ubuntu displays website better now that most are HTML5 compliant.
    • The customization in Ubuntu is twice as good as Windows 7
Microsoft has done a good job at keep people in the dark about Ubuntu.  1 year ago was the first time you could buy an Android tablet in Canada and you still can't buy a non Windows 7 computer in Canada. I hope my blogging about this helps you.